• Additions Permit (PDF)
  • $0.43 per square foot of the new addition, no less than $100
  • Plus a 25% processing fee due at time of permit submittal, no less than $25

Additions to single-family dwellings must comply with current City codes and ordinances.

Effective September 1, 2009: All new houses, remodels, and additions must comply with the Proportionality Ordinance which states: for every two bedrooms, a house must have one full bathroom (including a toilet, sink, shower, and/or bathtub) and one living area a minimum of 120 square feet (this means the room would have to be a minimum of 10 feet by 12 feet to meet this requirement). The living area does not include bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, unfinished garages, or basements. Pursuant to the Ordinance, a three bedroom house would require one bathroom and one living area; for a four or five bedroom house, two bathrooms and two living areas would be required.

Code Requirements

When adding bedrooms, you are required to install smoke detectors in each sleeping room and at a centrally located area within the corridor or area giving access to the sleeping area(s). Each smoke detector must be hard-wired and provide a battery backup.

Windows in bedrooms must meet specific height, width, and openable space requirements. We recommend that you install a minimum window size of 3feet  by 5 feet depending on the size of the room, you may be required to install a larger window for natural light requirements. All additions require 8% natural light; this may be accomplished by installing French doors, sliding glass doors, windows, and/or skylights.

Electrical plugs are required 6 feet from each door or cased opening and every 12 feet of wall space thereafter. This means that on either side of every door or cased opening in the room, you should be able to find an electrical plug within 6 feet. Then you should be able to find a plug every 12 feet of continuous wall space. This requirement does not apply to the windows as they are not considered a cased opening.

Plan Submittal Requirements

All documents should be submitted on a USB in PDF format; with a paper copy of the Residential  Permit Application (above).

One property survey or scaled drawing (1 inch equals a 20 foot minimum).

On the scaled drawing, draw the shape of the lot and the shape of the existing house on the lot. On the survey or scaled drawing, show the location of the new addition and the distance from the new addition to all property lines (rear and both side property lines). Please show the location and size of other structures on the lot (i.e. swimming pools, retaining walls, accessory buildings, carports, detached garage, etc.) and the locations of electric, gas, and sewer service lines, and indicate whether the electric line is overhead or underground.

Break out (on a separate sheet of paper) the new rooms and all the existing rooms in the house that are common (or next to) the new addition. Show the type and size of each room. Show the size (width and height) and location of windows and doors in each room. Provide an elevation and indicate the ceiling and overall height of the addition (an elevation is a drawing of the exterior of the house, with details such as exterior materials, roof pitch, etc.) and the exterior materials (brick, siding, stone); notate any plumbing or mechanical (air-conditioning) work (Note: electrical is required); and finally, note if the construction, mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing work will be done by the homeowner or licensed contractors registered with the City.

Break out (on a separate sheet of paper) the type of foundation for the addition (slab, pier and beam, or post-tension). The drawing should show depth of foundation, grade beam placement, depth of grade beam, pier locations, etc. Or, for post-tension, you should provide an engineer's letter (which should contain the specifications for the foundation).

All Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical contractors are required to hold State licenses and be registered with the City.

The State of Texas does make provisions for homeowners to act as their own contractor(s) and complete their own electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work. However, you must own the home, live in the home, and homestead the home (check the website to see if you have a homestead exemption on file with Dallas Central Appraisal District). This information will be verified by City staff at time of permit submittal.